Mentorship Program Contest!
We are kicking off our inaugural SCBWI Montana Mentorship Program at our Writing Forward Progress Conference. Here's the details:
- Everyone who registers for an individual critique from one of our guest faculty is automatically entered into the mentorship contest.
- Our guest editors and agent will select 1 or 2 pieces from their critique sessions that they feel has the most potential for publication.
- We'll announce these finalists at our conference!
- A few weeks later, our winner will be chosen by the Mentor himself:
Our Mentor for the 2017-18 Mentorship Year is Author Kent Davis!
"Kent Davis is me. I’m a writer, game designer, actor, and pratfall practitioner.
The Great Unravel, the third novel in the A Riddle in Ruby Series, is slated for release by HarperCollins’ Greenwillow Books November 7, 2017. The whole series features adventure, daring heroes, alchemical automatons, and both pluck and gumption.
My game design partner, Chris Organ, and I are the two geekomatics behind the award-nominated Epic RPG tabletop roleplaying game. Theater, film, and television credits as a short, bald man include an array of concerned friends, overbearing flunkies, and odd-yet-amusing next door neighbors. When I’m not writing or gaming, I teach in the Honors College at Montana State University. I’m a member of SFWA and SCBWI. Snake Oil Workshop is the place where I teach improvisation to business folks and academics.
I live in a little gray house in the wilds of Montana with my brilliant, ridiculous wife and a bold, yet wily dog-ninja. I love good food, good games, and good stories. Especially if the stories have dragons. Or wendigo. Or elusive, brain-devouring fauna."
Kent will select from the finalist entries the work that he feels he can 'mentor' the most productively. Kent will then provide the winner:
- A full manuscript critique and mentorship over the course of up to a year.
- This will include at least 4 one-on-one conversations via Skype, phone, or in person, to teach, guide, and give suggestions and encouragement. How these conversations are built around the manuscript will be up to Kent and his mentee.
- Kent's goal is to help the writer refine and polish their maunscript to it's best possible shine, and be submission ready.
Our goal is to continue in years to come to offer mentorship opportunities to our SCBWI members. To make this happen, participate in our Silent Auction at the conference this year. You'll love the auction items!